Molecular biology technologists: Salary, career path, job outlook, education and more
Molecular biology technologists perform complex protein and nucleic acid tests on cell samples.
Like technologists, medical laboratory technicians may work in several areas of the laboratory or specialize in one area. For example, histotechnicians are a type of medical laboratory technician who cut and stain tissue specimens for pathologists— doctors who study the cause and development of diseases at a microscopic level.
Technologists and technicians often specialize after they have worked in a particular area for a long time or have received advanced education or training in that area.
- Education Required
- An entry-level job for technologists usually requires a bachelor's degree in medical technology or life sciences.
- Job Outlook
The projected percent change in employment from 2016 to 2026: 13% (Faster than average)
(The average growth rate for all occupations is 7 percent.)
- After additional education, work experience, or certification, technologists and technicians may specialize in one of many areas of laboratory science, such as immunology, histotechnology, or clinical chemistry. Some medical laboratory technicians advance to technologist positions after gaining experience and additional education. Some colleges have bachelor’s degree programs for medical laboratory technicians to become technologists (often referred to as MLT to MLS programs).
- Some states require laboratory personnel to be licensed. Requirements vary by state and specialty. For specific requirements, contact state departments of health, state boards of occupational licensing, or visit The American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science.
- Median pay: How much do Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians make?
- $50,930 Annual Salary
- $24.48 per hour
Careers for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians
- Biochemistry technologists
- Blood bank laboratory technicians
- Blood bank laboratory technologists
- Blood bank technologists
- Chief medical technologists
- Clinical chemistry technologists
- Clinical laboratory technicians
- Clinical laboratory technologists
- Cytogenetic technologists
- Hematology technicians
- Hemodialysis technicians
- Histologic aides
- Histologic technicians
- Histologist technologists
- Histology technicians
- Immunohematology technologists
- Immunology technologists
- Medical laboratory scientists
- Medical laboratory technicians
- Medical laboratory technologists
- Microbiology technologists
- Neurology technicians
- Pathology laboratory technologists
- Pathology technicians
- Serology technicians
- Tissue technologists
- Biological Technicians
- Chemical Technicians
- Chemists and Materials Scientists
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers and Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians, Including Vascular Technologists
- Environmental Science and Protection Technicians
- Forensic Science Technicians
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Medical Scientists
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists
- Surgical Technologists
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians