Computer Support Specialists: Salary, career path, job outlook, education and more
- Education Required
- Education requirements for computer support specialists vary. Computer user support specialist jobs require some computer knowledge, but not necessarily a postsecondary degree. Applicants who have taken some computer-related classes may be qualified for these jobs. For computer network support specialists, many employers accept applicants with an associate’s degree, although some prefer applicants to have a bachelor’s degree.
- Job Outlook
The projected percent change in employment from 2016 to 2026: 10% (Faster than average)
(The average growth rate for all occupations is 7 percent.)
- Many computer support specialists advance to other information technology positions, such as network and computer systems administrators and software developers. Some become managers in the computer support services department. Some organizations provide paths for support specialists to move into other parts of the organization, such as sales. For more information, see the profiles on network and computer systems administrators and software developers.
- Certification programs are generally offered by vendors or from vendor-neutral certification providers. Certification validates the knowledge of and best practices required by computer support specialists. Companies may require their computer support specialists to hold certifications in the products the companies use.
- Median pay: How much do Computer Support Specialists make?
- $52,160 Annual Salary
- $25.08 per hour
Computer support specialists provide help and advice to computer users and organizations. These specialists either support computer networks or they provide technical assistance directly to computer users.
What do Computer Support Specialists do?
Careers for Computer Support Specialists
- Computer customer support specialists
- Computer help desk representatives
- Computer help desk specialists
- Computer network support specialists
- Computer user support specialists
- Desktop support specialists
- End user support specialists
- Help desk analysts
- Help desk technicians
- Network diagnostic support specialists
- Network support technicians
- Network technicians
- PC support specialists